Fungi include well known saprophytes like yeasts, penicilia, braed moulds, toadstools and mushrooms. The parasitic ones cause animal and plant disease such as ringworm, athletes foot, wheat rust, potato, and tomato plight.
General characteristus of fungi
- They are eukaryotic
- The basic unit is hypha which consists of cell wall enclosing cytoplasm containing numerous nuclei.
- They have cell walls containing a chitin and a few have their walls made of cellulose
- They do not have chloroplast or chlorophyll.
- They store glycogen and oil droplets in their cytoplasms and not starch.
- They reproduce both sexually and asexually.