Work with your partner. First discuss the given question and then do the listening exercise individually.
1. Discuss: What are three things you look for in selecting a place to live? Put them in order of importance to you and discuss them with a partner.
2. Discuss: Besides price and size, what other questions would you ask a landlord before renting an apartment?
3. Discuss: What kinds of complaints or problems do tenants experience when renting a home or apartment? Briefly discuss these ideas with a partner. Explain one solution for each problem you came up with.
4. Discuss with a partner three common repairs or home improvements people do in and around their apartments or houses (e.g., kitchen cabinets, roofing, siding, etc.)
5. Discuss the kinds of mishaps or accidents that can occur around the house that might require home repairs or house cleaning. Use the following verbs and nouns or others you know to make sentences. Then write some of the ideas on the board.
- VERBS: burn, break, cut, damage, fall, ruin, scratch, slip, spill, tear
- NOUNS: bathtub, carpet, chair, door, dinner, floor, ladder, stairs, stove, wall