Our Saturday's lectures will proceed as usual; you'll find the Zoom link below, and all the relevant materials in their folder.
If you need to contact me urgently during the day, my phone number is
See you on Saturday!
This year's last lectures will take place on the coming Saturday. It'll be pretty much business as usual: you'll find the instructions in the Course materials folder, and will be working together in the smaller Breakout rooms during the session.
The Zoom link is the same as last time:
If you have problems or questions to do with the courses, assignments, grading, etc., don't hesitate to get in touch with me!
See you on Saturday!
EKIP404 Discourse and Literacy, 2 op
The aim of the course is to familiarise students with the basic concepts and tools of discourse and literacy studies by analysing (and producing) different kinds of texts. The purpose is also to develop students’ ability to read critically and to recognise and analyse the various ways of making and mediating meanings through multimodal texts. In class we will examine texts produced in different contexts (e.g. everyday life, education, and the media) and analyse the meanings they convey and the effect they have on the target audience and society in general.
After completing the course students will be able to
- identify the basic concepts and tools applied in literacy and discourse studies
- read critically and recognise and analyse the various ways of making and mediating meanings through multimodal texts as well as talk
- analyse the meanings conveyed by texts and talk produced in different contexts and the effect they have on their target audience and society in general
- Methods of study: Lectures, group work, readings.
- Assessment: Regular attendance, 2 course assignments. Grading on the scale from 0 to 5.
Teacher: Anne Karppinen PhD
28 November 1 pm to 4 pm
12 December 9 am to 12
15 January 4.30 pm to 7.30 pm
16 January 1 pm to 4 pm
30 January 9 am to 12
20 February 1 pm to 4 pm
- Course booklet Anne Pitkänen-Huhta & Piia Varis: Discourse and Literacy.