The portfolio is internally assessed by the teacher and externally moderated by the IBO. Assessment criteria have been developed to relate to the mathematics objectives. In developing these criteria, particular attention has been given to the objectives listed here, since these cannot be easily addressed
by means of timed, written examinations.
Where appropriate in the portfolio, students are expected to:
- know and use appropriate notation and terminology
- organize and present information and data in tabular, graphical and/or diagrammatic forms
- recognize patterns and structures in a variety of situations, and make generalizations
- demonstrate an understanding of and the appropriate use of mathematical modelling
- recognize and demonstrate an understanding of the practical applications of mathematics
- use appropriate technological devices as mathematical tools.